1) What is Your Name?
2) How old are you?
That's privileged. OK, 33.
3) Tell us a little about your family?
I have 3 children and one wife.
4) What is the Name of Your Church?
Burnside Christian Church
5) Does your Youth Ministry have a name? If so, what is it?
NEOS - this is the Greek word used in the New Testament for youth.
6) What is your role in the ministry?
I am paid as Youth Pastor, 2 days per week. What hours I work is a different matter...
7) How long have you been at your present church?
14 1/2 years
8) How long have you been in Youth Ministry all together?
14 1/2 years. Phew.
9) What is your greatest passion in Youth Ministry?
To see youth transformed and matured by the Gospel
10) What would you say is your "life verse"?
1 Corinthians 2:2 - 'I resolved to know nothing among you save Jesus Christ and Him crucified.'
11) What is your passion in life?
To see other people be caught up by the truth of 1 Corinthians 2:2!
12) Share one ministry highlight for you?
The recent baptism of a 14 yr-old boy.
13) Share one ministry lowlight for you?
Seeing young people drift away from their relationship with God (common....)
14) What have you done in your ministry that has had the greatest impact on students?
Preaching the Word, preaching the Word, and preaching the Word. Even if they don't like it at the time, the fruit becomes evident further down the track.
15) What is something in ministry that you would warn others to NEVER do?
NEVER let your ego get in the way of showing them Jesus. This is one of the biggest temptations for any ministry, not just youth ministry.
16) In a sentence or two, what is your definition of a "successful youth ministry"?
One in which the leaders are faithful in speaking and living the gospel.
17) In your opinion what are some of the biggest needs of teens today?
Security, hope and acceptance. These can only truly be found in a relationship with the Father.
18) What advice would you give the teens of today?
The same advice that the writer of Ecclesiastes gave 3000 years ago - Remember the One who made you, while you're still young, before hard times come and life no longer seems worth living. (my paraphrase of Ecclesiastes 12:1)
19) If you could tell parents ONE thing, what would it be?
You are the primary youth pastor for your children. Do not assume that your youth Pastor will make your kids into good little Christians. You have the primary responsibility before God to lead your kids to Him.
20) What book(s) are you presently reading?
"Any Objections" by John Legg, and a commentary on Nehemiah by Raymond Brown
21) What would be the top 3 books you would recommend?
That's a hard one.
1) The Bible would have to be first (I had to say that in case my senior Pastor reads this...)
2) Then comes "The Wrath of His Love" by Geoffrey Bingham,
3) then "Chosen by God" by RC Sproul
22) What two movies would you most recommend to other youth workers?
1) Simon Birch
2) Groundhog Day
I don't need to explain, just watch them and you'll see why...
23) Who is your favorite musician/music group?
Don't have one...
24) Who has been the biggest influence on you in youth ministry?
25) What direction would you like to see your ministry move toward?
Wherever God takes it. No, I'm not just being a good pious pastor. It's true.
26) What is the most significant thing God has taught you since being in Youth Ministry?
He alone is the Teacher, Father and Master. Whenever i try to take over His Job, I will fall in a heap. Whenever I don't, lives will be changed, but I won't get or want any credit for it.
27) Youth ministry involves a lot of doing and giving to others. What do you do in order to get fed and encouraged?
I attend a monthly Pastor's Study, where pastors form all around the city and all different denominations meet to be taught and encouraged.
28) If you could have done three things differently when you were a teenager yourself, what would they have been?
1. Not isolate myself from people in the guise of shyness. 2. Remembered what my sunday School teachers had said. 3. Surrendered to God's call to come to Him and be saved much sooner than I did.
29) What would you say are three to five MUST-HAVE resources for every youth worker?
1) A thorough working grasp of the whole Bible - Old and New Testament.
2) A computer with internet.
3) A church who love, support and pray regularly for you.
30) Have you contributed anything to the YM Exchange on Pastor2youth.com?
Not that I remember... I visit too many youth sites, and I get them confused.....
31) How could we pray for you and your ministry?
Pray that i will proclaim the Gospel without fear or self promotion.
32) Would you be willing to share a picture of you and/or your group with us?
Click Here to view the full-sized picture.